Monday, July 14, 2008

Danger Bird

Thank you everyone for the gracious feedback on my blog. I appreciate how gentle you all have been. But its been pretty clear from the emails I've been receiving, some improvements need to be made.
From now on, this blog will regularly address just how cool Neil Young is. By popular demand, I will add a regular posting entitled:
"What Neil Young Song Tawny Currently Thinks Is The Shit".
This week, "Danger Bird" wins by a huge margin.
First off, what a masterful title!
Seriously. Great job, Neil.
Check out all the metaphors running in this gem:
The jailbird takes the raps
And he finds himself spread-eagle on the tracks
But the training that he learned will get him nowhere fast
.

That's two bird references and two twists on the meaning of "train" all with in three lines, folks! I wanted to post a you tube video of Neil performing it live, but incredibly there aren't any.
I did, however, find this music video, artfully crafted by someone similarly inspired by this great song. I wish they had included the entire song, particulaly the epic ending, but I imagine they probably got tired of driving all over thier home town shooting footage of birds sitting on telephone wires. It is a very long song, even by Neil's standards. Anyhow, if you have any taste at all, you'll agree the song is really stirring. I, myself, was tempted to run around the bird sanctuary in Albany last Sunday wailing my favorite line:
"And though these wings have turned to stone I can fly fly fly away.
Watch me fly above the city Like a shadow on the sky. Fly, fly, fly."
Sadly, Nat drew the line at my cranking it up in the Honda and playing it three times in a row. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

YEAH TAWNY HAS A BLOG!!!

How COOL! Let's be blog buddies! I'm so happy they put this in the SCAM newsletter - I would've never ever known, and then I would've been deprived of all the hilarity that ensues on a Tawny adventure. ;)

Look forward to hearing all about getting ready for Catalina!

Love,
S

Gnat said...

All those birds... Those DANGER BIRDS...

Unknown said...

Is Danger Bird still currently the shit? How often does the shit title change? What song is currently rising on the shit-o-meter? I, along with a great number of others, need to know the answers to these questions... and, are you currently taking responsibility for Neil Young songs being stuck in the heads of others?

"I have a friend
I've never seen
He hides his head
inside a dream
Someone should call him
and see if he can come out.
Try to lose
the down that he's found."

Tawny said...

Actually,if things continue as they have the last two days, "Cortez the Killer" is sure to win the next posting. There's just some hesitation to put up two songs from the same album. I want to maintain the semblance of fairness.

Cortez, Cortez....
What a Killer.