Wednesday, July 9, 2008

West Coast is the Best Coast

Open water swimming is fraught with dangers.
No, I am not talking about sharks.
I am talking about SEA LICE!!!
Sea lice plague the waters of New York like scabies plague Phish-fans!
(Are you scratching yet?)
Alice came over last night to show me her battle wounds.
Ever the medical professional, she would want me to mention that its
technically known as "sea bathers eruption".
The date-night lingerie will remain in the dresser this week.
Yep, sea lice almost always go for the breasts
(mean little bastards!),
so I had to make do with a picture off the Internet.
You thought it was just my California snobbery,
but I knew there was a reason I haven't bothered with the Big Apple.

2 comments:

Emma said...

If I could just live the rest of my life free of sea bathers eruption, I'll count myself very lucky. Itchy to even think about. You swimmers, so brave.

Tawny said...

Just this morning, I learned it gets worse: Duck Itch!!!I can't wait to do a google image search on that one.